Re: emacs problem

Just a gentle reminder to keep replies on list...  Mutt's list-reply
feature is perfect here.  :-)

Sergio Dominguez wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > In which mode are you composing the message (mail-mode, post-mode)?

Agreed.  Check the setting of the auto-mode-alist variable.  This is a
variable that emacs uses to select modes based upon filenames.  I have
the following in my emacs file.

  (setq auto-mode-alist
      (append
       '(
         ("^/var/tmp/mutt" . text-mode)
         ("^/tmp/mutt" . text-mode)
         )
       auto-mode-alist))

You may be setting something similar and putting emacs into a mode
that is not working properly.

> > It is possible (according to your mode/configuration) emacs is trying
> > to narrowing out the headers (see the narrowing section in the emacs
> > user manual).
> > Try M-x widen in the message buffer to verify this.

Good suggestion.  I first thought that perhaps some emacs faces, fonts
or colors, were set so that text was black on black or white on white
or some other such.  The reference to highlighting making the text
visible causes me to think that.  Highlighting would use a different
face and perhaps that is pointing to the problem.

> It was an update of mutt I did some time ago that started doing
> this. I am sure I am passing the headers to emacs, (I do have set
> edit_headers) and I don't think it is emacs trying to narrow out the
> headers, because it is an somewhat erratic behaviour (the number of
> lines that "dissappear" is not always the same, nor it does it every
> single time. Just very very often.)

I would also guess that it might be a locale issue affecting character
set encoding.  Guessing here but if a "From:" line included characters
encoded in a different charset than expected then perhaps it might
have a bad effect on the text around it.  But I am stretching here and
don't really know.

Bob