Re: OT: advanced mailbox protocols

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

> >I'm currently thinking about designing a new one, which should handle
> >lots of things which (AFAIK) aren't supported by pop or imap,
> >for example:
> >
> >* (full text) searching
>
> IMAP does this one. Mutt supports it as well; search for '=b text'

Ah, cool :) How exactly does it work ?

> >* direct access to metadata and single message parts
>
> IMAP does this as well.

So, you can tell the server "give me part 1 of Mail XYZ" ?

> >* storage / encoding abstraction
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but IMAP does what it sounds
> like you want here.

A kind of views, but for content. So, ie. the client can tell:
"give me the HTML part as plain text", "convert to charset XYZ"
or "cut off the signature".

> >* update notification
>
> IMAP does this.

Yeah, I know there's an notification for new email.
But does it also tell that an certain mail has changed etc
(so an complete reload of the index can be circumvented).

For example: I'm using mutt (direct) and seamonkey (imap) to
go on the same mailboxes. When flushing the mbox in mutt, I'd
like to get seamonkey informed immediately.

> >* keywording / tagging (listings by keywords, etc)
>
> IMAP supports arbitrary user-defined tags, and I believe it supports
> searching for tags, but I haven't double-checked.

hmm, do you have any source/howto how this works ?

For example, I'd like to get mails from/to certain persons get
tagged (ie. via procmail), ie. friends, customers, ...
now I want to query for mails with certain tags (ie. "friend")
and maybe store it as a view / virtual mailbox.

Is this possible w/ IMAP

> >* compression
>
> As in back-end compression, or communication compression?
> Communication compression is a recent IMAP extension (lookup the
> LEMONADE project).

Cool. Is this already supported in mutt ?

> >* virtual mailboxes (ie. defined upon queries)
>
> Currently not available in any existing protocol.

hmm, would it be hard to extend IMAP for that ?

> >* message composing / posting
>
> IMAP can be used to send messages (check out Courier's outbox stuff).

Cool, never heared about that :)

> As for message composing, I have no idea what you're getting at.

Create a new mail in the postponed box and change it multiple times
(ie. upload attachements or edit text later)

Okay, I've now learned that IMAP has much more capabilities than
I ever expected :)

Maybe someone could point some problems of the IMAP protocol.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@xxxxxxxx
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481