Re: OT: advanced mailbox protocols

On Wednesday, September 27 at 06:36 PM, quoth Enrico Weigelt:
>I'm currently thinking about designing a new one, which should handle
>lots of things which (AFAIK) aren't supported by pop or imap,
>for example:
>
>* (full text) searching

IMAP does this one. Mutt supports it as well; search for '=b text'

>* direct access to metadata and single message parts

IMAP does this as well.

>* storage / encoding abstraction

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but IMAP does what it sounds
like you want here.

>* update notification

IMAP does this.

>* keywording / tagging (listings by keywords, etc)

IMAP supports arbitrary user-defined tags, and I believe it supports
searching for tags, but I haven't double-checked.

>* compression

As in back-end compression, or communication compression?
Communication compression is a recent IMAP extension (lookup the
LEMONADE project). Back-end compression is basically
implementation-dependent, and has nothing to do with the protocol
(i.e. you can do it with ordinary IMAP). For example, you could use a
compressed filesystem.

>* virtual mailboxes (ie. defined upon queries)

Currently not available in any existing protocol.

>* message composing / posting

IMAP can be used to send messages (check out Courier's outbox stuff).
As for message composing, I have no idea what you're getting at.

Note that not all IMAP servers support the full power of the IMAP
protocol, which, with the exception of virtual mailboxes, is probably
your real problem.

~Kyle
- --
Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to
give it to others.
                                                -- William Allen White