Can mutt read both mbox and maildir for one user

Hi,

I have an archiving problem on my hands.

I use Maildir mailboxes, and have mutt configured to read mail from
maildir folders. However, I want to archive old emails, and the best
option seems to be to use gzipped mbox archives. I want to be able to
read these archived mail when needed.

Can I enable mutt to read the mbox.gz files while also continuing to
read the Maildirs as I do now? How would I start changing my .muttrc
to enable mutt to read both types of mailboxes?

Thank you,
Carthik.

--
Ph.D. Candidate