Re: Recommendations for mail server account?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:56:17AM -0400, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I regularly use three different computers - a work desktop, a laptop
> and a home desktop. I have three email IDs, again, none of these are
> avoidable.
>
> Right now, I fetch all mail to my home desktop which is used to run an
> ssh server using a dynamic dns service.
>
> The power bill, and the irresponsibility of running a desktop 24x7 to
> read mail etc are killing me.
>
> So, what would enlightened mutt users suggest as a solution to this
> problem? Please don't suggest IMAP. My work account has really stupid
> policies regarding deleting old mails. Besides IMAP does not allow me
> to use folders etc "freely".
>
> Would someone know of a cheaply obtainable shell account, or vps, or
> something that allows me to run fetchmail, procmail, mutt on a
> webserver of some sort? Something I can replace my
> home-desktop-mailserver?

I read my mail using mutt on a remotely accessible (by ssh) server.
There are *lots* of companies offering Linux shell accounts, just do a
Google search or drill down in Google directory.

A good one that I used for quite a while (I have a free one now) is
Csoft (www.csoft.net), $5/month for a Linux shell account with 1Gb of
disk space. It's ideal for what you want to do.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx)