Re: make mutt prompt for from address

--- Rado S <rado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, as others like Pat have mentioned, mutt has
> its own way of
> dealing with roles. Some pointers can be taken from
> the wiki.
>
> But, even specifically what you ask for can be
> accomplished.
> See ConfigTricks/CheckAttach. Of course you must
> tweak it to your
> needs, but you get the idea how it works.

Thanks for the further pointers, Rado. Unfortunately,
the code given at the wiki entry, despite it's
apparent simplicity, is pretty far over my head
(you're communicating with someone who has put maybe 4
bash scripts together in his life, none of which were
longer than 2 lines). I can see that the script
creates a temp file that is then grep'd for some text,
but how all the symbols and so forth work together is
beyond me. It would take me probably a couple of days
of reading and experimentation to fully understand it.
Then I really have no idea how mutt would call this
script. Meantime I have alot of course preparation and
teaching to do, so it looks like I'll be making due
with the solution you provided earlier.

As for send-hooks, if I understand correctly this is a
way of getting mutt to associate a certain from field
with a certain to field, correct? If so I'm not sure
that would be my solution, and it seems a bit like
overkill for my e-mailing wants/needs. I have a
workable solution based on your previous advice, so
I'll make due with that until (if) such a time as I
understand some of these things a bit better.

Thanks, James