Re: Printing messages - Setting fontsize.

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 02:14:51AM -0400, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> latter, yes you can probably install enough third-party software onto
> your Solaris 8 box to handle whatever charset you like, but that's a

Solaris, beginning with 8, ran/still runs circles around pretty much
any Unix I know of when it comes to handling CJK (Asian charsets) in
text mode.  Only Linux, in the last few years, appears to have caught up.
It's hard for me to imagine that Solaris 8 and above can't handle most
charsets -- including utf8.  `locale -a` shows a _bunch_ of locales
suffixed with "UTF-8" on my SparcClassic running SunOS 5.8.

If you don't try anything fancy, Mutt compiles pretty much out of the
box on Solaris 8, as do GNU iconv and gettext if you prefer them.

> occasions), but they have no interest. There are several professors in
> my department that still use "mh" to read their email, which has no

Poor fellows.  You should turn them on to Mutt.  I quit using mailx the
very day I got mutt to compile.

> knowledge of anything non-ascii (heck, just getting some of them to
> handle MIME is a battle).

I can relate to them.  I still hate MIME despite being able to "handle" it.

> This is one of the reasons I like mutt: I can send whatever limited
> form of email my intended recipient can read, and I can view whatever
> bizarre forms of email that people send to me.

Ditto.

> > UTF-8 *is* the standard... or at least *a* standard.  Trouble is not
> > everyone likes to comply to standards, and there is still a lot of
> > crufty software out there.  We'll get there.  Maybe 2 more years.

That's what I said two years ago.  We certainly are getting close though.
If I can't move on to ja_JP.UTF8 in another two years without jumping
through hoops, I may just go back to using Solaris again!

> Why, just today I sent an email to my priest who it turns out is still
> using Outlook Express 6.0. I sent in my usual format; UTF-8 with a

That's tragic.  Somebody needs to donate a cpu and memory to your church
so he can upgrade to XP.  Or, has Mutt been ported to Windows yet?  Get
someone to install it for him.

henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/