Re: building 1.5.12 on RHEL

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:22:48AM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2006-08-08 01:07:01 -0700, William Yardley wrote:

> > I wrote Matthias off-list, and he wrote me back. I didn't realize
> > you needed to run "prepare" when building from modified source (and
> > not just when building from CVS).
>
> You shouldn't need to.
>
> Apparently, recent automake/autoconf combos put some version
> requirements into the wrong places, and then fail instead of
> rebuilding the necessary files using whatever is installed.
>
> Strikes me as a bug, but I don't know how to work around it.

I followed up with Matthias off-list; none of the patches I used
modified any of the autoconf stuff.... and I was able to build (with the
exact same modifications) successfully on another system. The configure
script finishes, so I'm guessing it's an automake, rather than autoconf
problem?

Anyway, I do think it's a problem, however the versions of autoconf /
automake I'm using are now not officially "supported" in mutt (since the
changes).

> Clues welcome.

Well the things I don't know about autoconf / automake could probably
fill several books, but if anyone else wants to mess around with it,
I'll be happy to provide them with whatever information they want
offlist.