Re: Reading mail from CLI with Mutt

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 04:59:17PM EDT, Carl Klatsky wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been in search of an email client the can send/receive emails
> using only the CLI, so I can easily hook into it from Perl or Expect
> scripts.

python comes with powerful modules to send/receive mail (smtplib,
poplib, imaplib) that are (obviously) designed to be invoked from
scripts.

don't know if Perl has anything like this?

[..]

> Now my question is can I read a received e-mail from the shell without
> launching into the character-graphics app?  I am trying to parse for a
> specific message to trigger a script to start.  Maybe there's a whole
> different way to do this, but I thought Mutt might solve both my
> sending and receiving needs.

if you're just looking for a particular message and have no interest in
other messages.. listing them.. displaying their contents.. replying to
any of them.. etc. using a full-blown mailer sounds like overkill to me.

Thanks

cga