can't get ssl support compiled in

I've been trying for days now to get ssl support compiled into mutt.
(--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --enable-pop --enable-imap) The latest OpenSSL
is installed in the default location.

With only the static libraries, the configure script dies with:
        checking for X509_new in -lcrypto... yes
        checking for SSL_new in -lssl... no
        configure: error: Unable to find SSL library
If I try to help the configure script by setting the LIBS environment
variable ("-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl"), it still can't find it.

With the shared libraries installed, configure completes, but then
the executable can't find the libraries:
        Shared object "libssl.so.0.9.8" not found
So I try to set LDFLAGS (setenv LDFLAGS "-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/ssl/lib");
now the executable can't find libcrypto, which is in the exact same directory:
        Shared object "libcrypto.so.0.9.8" not found

Any help much appreciated.  (Using static libraries, if possible.)

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.ne.jp/~home/