Re: can't get ssl support compiled in

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:33:32PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> I've been trying for days now to get ssl support compiled into mutt.
> (--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl --enable-pop --enable-imap) The latest OpenSSL
> is installed in the default location.
>
> With only the static libraries, the configure script dies with:
>       checking for X509_new in -lcrypto... yes
>       checking for SSL_new in -lssl... no
>       configure: error: Unable to find SSL library
> If I try to help the configure script by setting the LIBS environment
> variable ("-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl"), it still can't find it.
>
> With the shared libraries installed, configure completes, but then
> the executable can't find the libraries:
>       Shared object "libssl.so.0.9.8" not found
> So I try to set LDFLAGS (setenv LDFLAGS "-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/ssl/lib");
> now the executable can't find libcrypto, which is in the exact same directory:
>       Shared object "libcrypto.so.0.9.8" not found
>
> Any help much appreciated.  (Using static libraries, if possible.)

I can't help you with the issue finding the openssl libs - I have them in an
non-standard directory, so I have to specify the header and library include
paths anyway. However, I discovered that I need to explicitly link against
libdl when building mutt with --disable-shared. (I did not have the time yat
to check where this dependency comes from and why it is not handled by the
configure script.) The following configure invocation resulted in an
apparently flawless build of mutt:

configure --prefix=/home/cludwig/usr/ --enable-gpgme --enable-pgp \
  --enable-smime --enable-pop --enable-imap --enable-debug \
  --enable-hcache --with-ssl --with-gpgme-prefix=/home/cludwig/usr \
  --disable-shared --with-ssl=/home/cludwig/usr/ \
  CPPFLAGS=-I/home/cludwig/usr/include/openssl LDFLAGS=-ldl

HTH

Christoph
--
FH Worms - University of Applied Sciences
Fachbereich Informatik / Telekommunikation