Re: Any way to assign mutt timezone?

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 12:33:20PM -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you have your system clock set
> incorrectly and you want to keep it that way for whatever reason,
> yet you want mutt to correctly date your outgoing messages.

No, no. I had my system clock set correctly to local time, but
because of not having the timezone package installed in my
system, the time displayed on my emails would be my local time
interpreted AS GMT time. That would cause my emails
to appear to have been sent 8 hours before the time they were actually
sent. I would like to find a way, if at all possible, to solve
this problem without installing the bulky timezone package.
Now, as a temporary solution, I have set my clock 8 hours
later than my local time (to GMT time), which partially fixes
the problem), which partially fixes the problem. The
downside is my system clock being set to 8 hours later than
local time, which is what is now being displayed to me.

> The only way I can think of to fix this, other than modifying mutt's
> source code, is to put a filter ahead of sendmail that will replace
> the GMT indicator with a PST or PDT indicator in the Date: header.
> Something like this, perhaps:
>
>     sed '/^Date: /s/[^ ]*0$/-0700/'
>
> Then change the 'mailcap_path' variable accordingly to include the
> filter or the wrapper script that contains the filter and sendmail
> pipeline.  Be sure that the return status of the wrapper script is
> the same as the return status of sendmail.
>
> This solution is not without its problems, but it may get you what
> you want.  For one thing, it affects the Date only on outgoing
> messages, not the Fcc: copy.

Thanks. I'll first have to fully understand how to place the filter
you refer to ahead of sendmail (I use msmtp), then I'll give it a
try.