Re: Frustrating mutt address problem

Am 2006-05-24 20:40:34, schrieb Seth Williamson:
> had written earlier with what I thought might be a problem in ssmtp
> and the way it relates to mutt.  Bottom line is that all mail is going
> to a single address, no matter what I put in the To: field in mutt.
>
> Either mutt or ssmtp is taking my username on my local box--which is
> seth--and my ISP's domain name--which is ntelos.net--and it sends
> every single e-mail to seth@xxxxxxxxxxx  Makes no difference what I
> actually put in the To: field in mutt.

If you have not read teh previously E-Mail

        FromLineOverride=YES

in the /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf is your friend.

> Another possible oddity is that, when I see the e-mail envelope in
> mutt prior to sending, with the From: and To: fields, etc., the From:
> field is blank.  I had assumed it would show my e-mail address, which
> is orthodox@xxxxxxxxxxx

This is a config error in YOUR muttrc

> orthodox=postmaster
  ^^^^^^^^
???  This shoud be root else it does not work
(I am working on the source of ssmtp).

and postmaser if you use ssmtp?
all messages would be send to

        <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx>

which is your ISP.  "postmaster should be your local name.

> mailhub=mail.ntelos.net

OK

> rewriteDomain=ntelos.net

This is where your <seth@xxxxxxxxxx> come from.

        $LOCALUSER + rewriteDomain

> hostname=orthobox
           ^^^^^^^^
I have had several times problems whin NON-FQDN.

> FromLineOverride=YES

OK

> My computer's name is orthobox.  Not sure if that's what's supposed to
> go in the hostname= line in the config file above but that's what I
> put.

Try a FQDN

> I can't figure out where either mutt or ssmtp is getting the username
> for my user account on my box here.  That username is seth, and it's
> sending all mail to seth [at] ntelos.net.  Very frustrating situation.

See my explanation above

> I hope I will learn something from this and not keep beating my head
> against a stone wall.  I have changed most options that looked likely
> over and over and can't seem to fix this problem.  I am beginning to
> think it might not be an ssmtp problem, but I don't know for sure.

You have a config problem...

> Seth Williamson
> Slings Gap
> Franklin County, VA

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)