Re: Frustrating mutt address problem

First question: why use ssmtp? Every reference I see of it on
google suggests that it is an abandoned project. It also has
several outstanding security vulnerabilities.  Those reasons
are precisely why I avoid it. Personally, I highly recommend
msmtp: it's an active project, and supports lots of higher-end
features. Plus, it was designed specifically with mutt in
mind. Here is the URL: http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

To answer your question, I considered using msmtp, but there is no deb of it available via Ubuntu. I am using Kubuntu at home. Maybe this is a noob thing, but I am afraid of compiling programs on my own because of potential dependency problems. It has been my understanding that, if I don't install a program with apt-get install, I'm opening myself up to dependency hell.

Is this true or am I worrying needlessly?

Now, let's start with the mutt manual. The setting you need to
review first is $sendmail. In order to tell mutt what program
to use in order to send mail, you have to set that variable.