Re: Poll: personal convenience vs. global improvement of docs

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 04:42:08PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:

> Tin was already mentioned as program which creates a documented config
> file and has a menu support for changing things, but the tin people
> have the problem that newer versions have to parse and update the
> config file of older version. This makes the parsing code bigger and
> bigger. And if you need complex modifications you have to do it by
> hand again (e.g.  different from lines for different groups or
> different signatures) in another config file.

I think Pine does a pretty good job of this... you can accomplish almost
everything from the menu, but you can read the config file and edit it
by hand if you're so motivated. Granted, mutt isn't trying to be
user-friendly in the same way mutt is, but I think this is a much easier
(from a user standpoint) way to generate a useful config. When you start
using mutt, there's a pretty steep curve as you figure out all the
config parameters you need to set to get things to do what you want.

re: parsing / updating older config files - true, but you only really
need to update the config file once.