Re: Poll: personal convenience vs. global improvement of docs

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:35:25AM +0800, phyrster wrote:
tool. It should be something that people really love to use (how many guys are manually editing kernel config files?).

The comparison is misleading. The variables in the kernel config file are not really documented, and there are dependencies between some of then (e.g. you need SCSI disc support for usb-storage, or you can’t build usb-storage into the kernel if your usb host drivers are modules).

For small changes I already *did* change .config manually.

Tin was already mentioned as program which creates a documented config file and has a menu support for changing things, but the tin people have the problem that newer versions have to parse and update the config file of older version. This makes the parsing code bigger and bigger. And if you need complex modifications you have to do it by hand again (e.g. different from lines for different groups or different signatures) in another config file.

fetchmail is another program which has a nice (but slow) config file generator (fetchmailconf), but is of course much less flexible than mutt.

Mutt is a quite complex program where many commands have to be in the right order, and you need to know regular expressions (I don’t know of any program with the ability to create regular expressions).

The feature I'm missing in mutt is the ability to create virtual folder (e.g. search in all my folders for mails with this address in the to or cc line and create a virtual folder with the results).

So I'm against the renaming of variables. If someone wishes to write a "make muttconfig" go ahead. I don't know how many variables you can put into such a tool before the user has to read the documentation and has to write the config by hand.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@xxxxxx |