Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:51:51PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Unless I???m misunderstanding you, it doesn???t sound like it???s
> > particularly necessary for the two sides of your split to talk to each
> > other. If that???s the case, then you can use ways to divide your
> > terminal and run multiple instances of mutt in order to best use the
> > space you have.
>
> Your UTF-8 Encoding is broken...

It's not broken, it's just annoyingly obscure.  He was using
characters which only exist in 2 character sets (at least, as far as I
know - out of the dozens of existing character sets), and the
de_DE@euro locale doesn't encompass those particular UTF-8 characters.

> I can view all other UTF-8 Mails under de_DE@euro

I seriously doubt that.  You can, no doubt, read all German and
English e-mail (and probably all of the Eastern European languages
too) which are encoded in UTF-8.  This is because the de_DE@euro
contains all of the common Eastern European language characters... but
there are many UTF-8 characters which it does not include.

I would imagine you can not see these, either:

  쳘 붗 횲 픏

These 4 characters are perfectly valid Korean UTF-8 characters.  They
occur in natural Korean language extremely infrequently (if ever), and
don't even show up in one of the two "Universal Unicode" fonts I have
installed on my system.  They don't even exist in EUC-KR encodings
(the older standard for Korean characters), but are nonetheless
valid UTF-8 characters.

I also would be extremely surprised if you can read these:

  안녕 하세요?  만나서 반갑습니다.

This is a common greeting in Korean between two people who are meeting
for the first time, again, encoded in perfectly valid UTF-8.  Anyone
with Asian language support installed, using the necessary UTF-8
fonts, should be able to read this just fine (or at least see the
correct characters -- I don't assume most people can read Korean).
Without looking up the specification of de_DE@euro, my assumption is
that it does not contain Asian characters, and as such you can't see
it.

I would likewise be surprised if you can see Japanese characters:

  おうきい おうしりい だね。

But there are several people on the list who do read Japanese, who
should be able to verify that this is perfectly valid Japanese, also
encoded in UTF-8 (though I can't vouch for my spelling, and don't ask
what I wrote)...  ;-)

> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/

Mine is a palindrome: 38983.  Does that make me cool?  =8^)

-=-=-=-=-