Re: Reading UTF-8 Mail

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 03:03:11PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:18:36PM -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> >[vetinari:~]$ locale
> >LANG=
> >LC_COLLATE="C"
> >LC_CTYPE="C"
> >LC_MESSAGES="C"
> >LC_MONETARY="C"
> >LC_NUMERIC="C"
> >LC_TIME="C"
> >LC_ALL="C"
>
> Hm, are you setting LC_ALL yourself?
> You should not set LC_ALL, it will overwrite all other settings. It is
> meant to bypass all locale variable if you need it in some situations,
> e.g. a script, without checking and unsetting the other variables
> yourself.
>
> So if you have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and LC_ALL=C, LANG as the variable with
> the lowest priority will be ignored and C is used.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear when I posted that.  Sorry 'bout that.  Let me
be more precise:

I've tried running mutt under two conditions:

  1) no locale-related environment variables set at all.  Displaying the
     locale settings gives the output that you have quoted above.

     Under these settings, mutt does not display utf-8 characters, as
     one would expect, but the index works.

  2) With LANG set to "en_US.UTF-8" (no quotes) but no other
     locale-related environment variables explicitly set.  With that, I
     get the following output:

        [Ridcully:~]$ LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale
        LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

     Under these circumstances, mutt displays neither UTF-8 characters
     nor the index correctly -- either in an xterm using an ISO10646
     font, or in Apple's Terminal.app explicitly configured for UTF-8.

In neither case do I set mutt's charset variable explicitly.

Richard