Re: Web frontend?

* Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> [05-04-06 19:37]:
> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > There is a qemu runnable edition of linux, possibly Damn Small Linux,
> > that will run inside windoz and has ssh capabilities where you could
> > run mutt on most machines.  It fits on a 256MB chip, flash drive or
> > camera chip, and will run as a bat file.
> >
> > If you are interested, I will find the particulars.  I have a version
> > on a chip that I carry with me to remotely access my home machine in an
> > atmosphere that I like.
>
> Patrick, I'd be interested in that if it isn't much work to send along
> a few pointers.  I've got putty on my usbkey for times when I'm stuck
> at someone's house fixing windows issues for them and want to get
> access to my home machine.  That's an acceptable solution for the
> (thankfully infrequent) times I'm in that situation, but it has it's
> annoyance with character encodings and such that I've never found time
> to work out.

Check out:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

note that this is for a 256mb chip.  It would be just as easy to run a
full cd distro with qemu:  qemu.exe -L bios/ -cdrom //./

or look at: http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/10/24/1845248

I have a spare 1GB CF camera card that I am going to copy a verion of
knoppix and try booting from qemu using the damnsmalllinux instructions.

The nice thing about dsl is it is a smaller footprint.

I have put the dsl (zip) file installable to a 256mb chip on my home
site if you prefer:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/dsl-2.3-embedded.zip

HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2