Re: 256 colors

Thus spake Alain Bench on Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 02:46:07PM +0200 or thereabouts:
<veronatif@xxxxxxx> [2006-05-03 18:41]:
> Hello,
>
>  On Sunday, April 30, 2006 at 4:36:27 -0400, cga2000 wrote:
>
> > I'm running mutt on an xterm with 256 colors enabled and I apparently
> > only have access to 16.
>
>     Mutt can make use of the 256 colors when informed by the terminfo
> entry that the terminal has them. Export TERM=xterm-256color and say
> "color202" is orange in Mutt.

Thanks, Alain. As you probably noticed I was sidetracked by this UTF-8
business and just have not had the time to look into colors further.

In any case what you are saying sounds like good news, although I would
have thought you needed a 256-color capable ncurses lib for this to be
available in mutt..

In any case, I'll try and take another look at mutt's colors over the
weekend.

>     What's half broken are the "bright{colors}" symbolic color names.
> They really do bold

overstriking..? I am quite confused about this. I eventually managed to
turn of this feature on the X terminal emulation I use - this happened
when I switched from aterm to xterm and I am unsure what did it.
Presumably some X resource that I (un)set..? Will have to check my
notes on this. In any case 16 colors rather than 8 + 8 bold is probably
what I wanted.. although the ugliness of the bold 'colors' could have
been corrected by specifying a decent bold font.

> or blinking dark color, instead of bright color.
> Granted, many terminals show bright when told bold or blink. But not
> all: Some show dark bold font, or start blinking. I believe it would be
> better if "brightred" gave "color9" on any terminals having 16 or more
> colors. Just like Slrn does.

Yes, I really must read the mutt doc because I don't understand the
above. My understanding was that on a 16-color capable xterm, mutt would
use the same sixteen colors as were defined in my xterm X resource
file. I did not imagine that mutt would tamper with these.

> Bye!  Alain.  -- How to Report Bugs Effectively
> <URL:http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Thanks,

cga