Re: e-mail encoding/formatting (was Re: Split-screen mode in mutt?)

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 21:54:22 -0400, Derek Martin sent:
----8<----
>This has been discussed fairly recently, and there is a
>configuration setting which will make mutt cope with these
>characters... but it would be far nicer if people would just not
>use these largely unavailable and extremely annoying characters
>in their e-mail.  As I'm using a UTF-8 locale with suitable
>fonts, I can see them... so I don't remember the configuration
>option, but no doubt someone will repeat and/or point you to it.
>But these characters have previously annoyed me in mail and
>other contexts (like web pages) for a very long time...  Sigh.

I added the following lines to my .muttrc after the last time
this subject came up:

# See: http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Charset
set charset = "//TRANSLIT" #iso-8859-15

Since then I have had no problems reading emails with weird and
wonderful character sets.

Like HTML emails, the usage of cp1232 is a fact of life. While we
don't like them, there are ways to deal with them without getting
annoyed. Life is too short!

Hope this help;

--paj

--