Re: Mutt marking read spam as unread before saving (bogofilter)

On 4/7/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2006-04-07, Carthik Sharma <carthik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 4/6/06, Carthik Sharma <carthik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Fellow Mutt users :)
> > >
> > > I use some bogofilter macros to help re-categorize mail as spam or ham
> > > when miscategorized.
> > >
> > > The problem is that the messages I open to read in, say my Inbox, and
> > > then mark as spam with, Shift+S end up in the .spam mailbox as
> > > expected, but marked as NEW. Is there a way I can prevent this from
> > > happening. I include the macros below.
> > >

> > Did I leave something out? Can I provide more info? Please ask if that
> > is the case. Again, the problem is how to prevent Mutt from marking
> > read messages as Unread before saving after refiltering through
> > bogofilter.
>
> My first thought is:  why do you care?  If the messages in .spam are
> spam, then presumably you won't be looking at them very often.
> Having them marked NEW could also be considered a feature, since it
> allows you to easily see which messages have been added to the .spam
> folder since you last opened it.

Gary, the New mails in Spam that got there without my intervention
might need review. The ones I put there using my Macro don't need
further review. I am just training bogofilter now, and want to check
for false positives. That's the reason I care. I am sure a month
later, this won't be an issue and what you say would apply :)

> Anyway, the problem is that mutt keeps track of the status of each
> message in memory until the message is written to a folder.  At that
> time, mutt adds (or updates) the Status: header to the message.
> When mutt opens a folder, messages without a Status: header are
> considered NEW.
>
> The messages that you pipe to bogofilter presumably were NEW and did
> not have Status: headers when you opened your Inbox.  Therefore,
> they don't have Status: headers when they are piped through
> bogofilter and to .spam, either.  I think the way to solve this is
> to put formail in the pipeline ahead of bogofilter and use formail
> to add an appropriate Status: header.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for :)

Carthik.

--
Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida