Re: Directory / folder help please

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:30:46AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-31-06 07:05]:
> > I'm really struggling to get mutt up and running on a debian sid system.
[...]
> > OK, here what I know:
> >
> > I want the maildir structure.
[...]
> > For now, my folder structurer needs to be in ~/Mail/mutt
>
>  ~/Mail/mutt/
>   (remember that 'maildir' required trailing '/')

As far as I know, this is not correct.  I use mutt with maildirs all
the time, and I do not have any of them specified with trailing
slashes.  The only program that needs trailing slashes for maildir is
procmail.  The trailing slash is how you tell procmail to deliver mail
into a maildir folder.

Mutt doesn't care.  If you have mbox_type set to maildir, it will
create new folders as maildir, regardless of whether you give it a
trailing slash or not.  If you have an existing maildir folder, mutt
will figure out that it is maildir whether you specify it with a
trailing slash or not.

If there is a case where a trailing slash is required in mutt to
specify a maildir folder, I have not found it yet...

> remember the trailing '/' for mail in ~/Mail/mutt.  Also I believe
> that you would *not* use the trailing '/' for your mail receipt
> *file*, /var/mail/<user_name>, as the linux norm is to receive mail in
> mbox format.

If this is desireable, it should be possible to configure it in the
MTA's configuration by adjusting how procmail is invoked (assuming the
MTA calls procmail, which is pretty standard these days)...

-=-=-=-=-