Re: Directory / folder help please

On Friday, March 31 at 10:30 AM, quoth Patrick Shanahan:
I've been reading the mutt wiki but really confused and have spent hours trying to get a basic set of folders in place.

Something you may want to try: http://muttrcbuilder.org

I want the maildir structure.

set mbox_type=Maildir

mutt can receive messages from /var/mail/

set spoolfile="/var/mail/$USER"

For now, my folder structurer needs to be in ~/Mail/mutt

set mbox="~/Mail/mutt/"

 (remember that 'maildir' required trailing '/')

VERY important!

I've tried looking for folder creation within mutt itself but can't find it. So what should I do?

It should do it itself, don’t worry.

/home/gena-j/Mail/mutt $folder "+"
 /home/gena-j/Mail//mutt/inbox $mbox ">"
/home/gena-j/Mail/mutt/sentitems $record "<"
/home/gena-j/Mail/mutt/drafts $postponed "+drafts"

This is nonsense syntax. Take it out of your muttrc, it’s only going to confuse mutt. What are you trying to accomplish with these lines?

my_hdr "From: Georgina Joyce <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"

I advise setting "from" rather than "my_hdr From:", see list traffic.
Reserve "my_hdr From:" for hooks.
set from='Georgina Joyce <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>'

More specifically, my_hdr is a command that only works on the current email being composed. Because there is no current email when mutt reads its muttrc, this command has no effect here. You should definitely use “set from”

my_hdr "Reply-To: Georgina Joyce <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"

I think this inadvisable, but that is personal preference.

As before, my_hdr has no effect unless there is a current email being composed.

Additionally, this is not a header that YOU should set. This is a header used by mailing lists.

Anyway, I strongly advise walking through the muttrcbuilder.com website. It should get you started with a correctly formatted muttrc, and will explain all the settings as you set them.

~Kyle
--
Man cannot live by bread alone. He must have peanut butter.
                                                          -- Bill Cosby