Re: Screen + mutt + emacs

Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:10:51AM -0500, James wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently switched from vi to emacs for mail composition.  I run mutt
> > on screen 1 and emacs on screen 2.  When I respond to mail or compose
> > mail, mutt waits for me to switch screens, compose, and then switch
> > back.  I would like mutt to automatically switch to screen 2 (and
> > specify a mode).  And I would like emacs to switch back when I hit C-X
> > #.
>
> Specify a mode?  I don't know what you mean by that, but it's not
> necessary to swtich screens at all.  Instead, use emacsclient or
> gnuclient (depending on whether you're using emacs or xemacs) as your
> editor in mutt, and just leave emacs running somewhere (maybe screen
> 2).  Since mutt waits for the mail to be composed, there's no reason
> to care about what is going on in screen1; so you might as well run
> your editor there.  If you have emacs running somewhere, emacsclient
> will connect to it and allow you to edit any buffers which were
> running in the original instance of emacs, and save you all the

I do use emacsclient.  When I do compose, mutt tells me it's "Waiting
for Emacs...".  I then switch to screen 2, do my edits and switch back.

It sounds like when you compose, you get an instance of emacs on
screen 1 via emacsclient.  Could you tell me how you do that?

As for modes, emacs currently brings up mail in fundamental mode.  I'd
like a mode that's a little more mail-savvy.

Thanks.