Re: Problem with Attachments coming from Lotus Notes

Hi Phil . . .

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:48:13AM +0100, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2006-03-21 at 16:16 -0600, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> > [cid:_2_04C54DF804C530F40078770D86257138]
>
> RFC 2392 reference to another MIME part by its Content-ID header; the
> only safe way to refer to images in email without requiring the receiver
> be able to retrieve attachments from a remote server (and so track the
> reading).

OK.

> > 4 <no description>              [image/jpeg, base64, 32K]
> >
> > The image attachment (line 4) is what is giving me grief.  I can't
> > view it apparently because it has no name.
>
> I just made up an email with such an attachment, and mutt was able to
> call the mailcap handler (ImageMagick's display(1) command) just fine.
> I'm running current CVS + patches and nothing in the ChangeLog suggests
> a change in behaviour here, although I could easily be wrong.

Hmm.  If you don't mind, I'm going to forward you a small jpeg file
that is an example of the trouble I'm having.   BTW, my mutt version is:
1.5.11+cvs20060126-2 (from Debian testing).

> You can force a particular extension by using the mailcap facility for
> this; your ~/.mailcap file should then contain a line something like:
>
>  image/jpeg; display %s; nametemplate="%s.jpg"; test=test -n $DISPLAY

My mailcap is setup fine.  I can view all attachments without
difficulty (including your test).  The extension is not the problem
either. Mutt recognizes the extension.  But somehow Notes seems to be
sending the attachment without a file name.  I've tried several image
viewers, qiv (the one I usually use) and also gthumb.  They both
complain that there is no image to view.  My only option to this point is
to save the image, at which point I have to give it a name because Mutt
doesn't think it has a filename yet.  Then open it externally.  As
long as images come through with a description, I have no problem.

> Attached is a simple-ish test email to send yourself any way you like,
> to see if you can trigger the problem with this, or if the problem is
> something else which Notes may be doing.  By attaching it, I'm more sure
> that it will make it through to you without being mangled by an
> intermediate system which adds or removes headers.

I had no problem with your test. Pressing "v" to view the attachments showed
me:

I     1 <no description>          [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 1.6K]
A     2 mail-test                 [text/plain, base64, us-ascii, 1.9K]

Selecting the mail-test brought it right up for me to see.

I'll send the jpeg to you personally, in a private email.

-Bryan