Mutt on OSX: 8 bit problems

I installed mutt on my PPC mini w/ OSX 10.4.5. It works, but 8 bit
characters are not displayed correctly in mutt's index view - in
headers (subject, sender) all 8 bit characters ar missing, and they are
also displayed wrongly or missing in mutt's error etc messages. In the
pager everything is ok.

Locale settings are now: LC_CTYPE=C, LANG is empty. If I change
LC_CTYPE to the national fi_FI, 8 bit characters are displayed with
question marks in headers, with digital codes in the pager.

Any suggestions what I could try to get this straight?

Holger