Re: *bold* etc.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:16:56AM +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
> * Toby <tobia.conforto@xxxxxxxx> :
> >
> > Does Mutt have any native option to highlight this kind of *bold*,
> > /italic/, and _underline_ oftentimes used on the net?
>
> Not that I'm aware of - regex's I use:
>
> color body brightwhite default "(^|[^[:alnum:]*])+[*]($|[-[:alnum:]])+[*]"  #
> bold

Note that [:alnum:] is the same as \w, the latter being much shorter
to type, and (IMO) easier to parse visually....

This is a hard problem to solve with a regex, because as you point
out, other things (like paths or regexes) can easily match
unintentionally.  Also the problem is compounded by the fact that such
expression can span multiple lines, such as this example: *this text
in between the asterisks should all be considered bold*

-=-=-=-=-