Re: Weird character in From: causes mutt to not extract reply address?

Charles Cazabon wrote:
> I'm not a Unicode/locale guru.  Is the above valid?  I don't think so
> (as I thought all non-ASCII chars in headers had to be encoded), but I
> was hoping for confirmation.

No, it's not valid.

It appears ths strange character is a single byte, octal 346.
Thus, in the sender's intention it probably refers to ISO-8859-1
character 0xE6 or «æ», Latin Small Letter AE.

This is confirmed by a quick Google search for Ostoviæ, which seems to
be a valid Croatian family name.  In that case, the subject should
contain  =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E6?=  in place of the æ.

Now you can:
1. try and get the sender to use a standards-compliant program (yeah...)
2. tell him he'd better put that string in place of the æ by hand; or
3. use a procmail filter to do the substitution yourself.

There might also be some Mutt option to enable a fallback charset for
8-bit headers, I don't know.

Toby

--
Signed/encrypted mail welcome.  GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0x15C5C2EA