Re: how to debug (and fix) mutt?

Hi

Everything is up-to-date according to apt:
ii exim4 4.60-3 metapackage to ease exim MTA (v4) installation ii libc6 2.3.5-13 GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data ii libdb4.3 4.3.29-4 Berkeley v4.3 Database Libraries [runtime] ii libgnutls11 1.0.16-14 GNU TLS library - runtime library ii libidn11 0.5.18-1 GNU libidn library, implementation of IETF IDN specifica ii libncursesw5 5.5-1 Shared libraries for terminal handling (wide character s ii libsasl2 2.1.19-1.9 Authentication abstraction library

mutt -d 1 and mutt -d 9 created some debugfiles, should I post the here or attach them to bug-report?

Anything specific I can look for?

This is the last bit of the mutt -d 9 when trying to send mail:
mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed.
mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed.
mail_addr_is_user: yes, bram-mertens@xxxxxxxx = bram-mertens@xxxxxxxx
mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed.
mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed.
mail_addr_is_user: yes, bram-mertens@xxxxxxxx = bram-mertens@xxxxxxxx
mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed.
mutt_index_menu[632]: Got op 97
> DONE^M
a0114 STATUS "Drafts" (MESSAGES)^M
< a0113 OK Idle completed.
< * STATUS "Drafts" (MESSAGES 11)
Drafts (UIDVALIDITY: 0, UIDNEXT: 0) 11 messages, 0 recent, 0 unseen
Running default STATUS handler

For some reason there are dozens (if not almost a hundred) of lines saying "mail_addr_is_user: no, all failed."

This is the last bit when trying to open this mailbox:
< a0223 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .UGent.vakd_sem
imap_exec: command failed: a0223 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .UGent.vakd_sem
Error polling mailboxes> a0224 STATUS "Drafts" (MESSAGES)^M
< * STATUS "Drafts" (MESSAGES 11)
Drafts (UIDVALIDITY: 0, UIDNEXT: 0) 11 messages, 0 recent, 0 unseen
Running default STATUS handler

Here I see a lot of messages complaining about non-existant mailboxes, although all these mailboxes do exist and have been working fine ever since I started using mutt.

Here's another example of a seg fault while opening a mailbox:
FETCH response ignored for this message
FETCH response ignored for this message
imap_exec: command failed: a0018 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .SBE_archive.debian-user.200407
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0032 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .SBE.fluxbox
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0046 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .SBE.mysql
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0060 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .shared.abanico
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0074 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .shared.amigos.karen
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0088 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .shared.telenet
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0102 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .UBE.99false_pos
Error polling mailboxes
imap_exec: command failed: a0112 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: .UGent.vakd_sem
Error polling mailboxesmutt_free_body: Not unlinking R1HORECA240603.PPS.

I may try to rebuild mutt if this doesn't reveil anything but my last attempt was quite unsuccesfull.

Regards

Bram

James wrote:
FWIW, I am also on Debian testing and using that versin of mutt.  I'm
having no problems with seg faults.

apt-get should have taken care of upgrading libs on which mutt depends,
but here are the packages you need, along with their current testing
versions:

libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1)  -=>  2.3.5-13
libdb4.3 (>= 4.3.28-1) -=> 4.3.29-4
libgnutls11 (>= 1.0.16) -=> 1.0.16-14
libidn11 (>= 0.5.18) -=> 0.5.18-1
libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-5) -=>  5.5-1
libsasl2 (>= 2.1.19) -=> 2.1.19-1.9
exim4 | mail-transport-agent -=> exim4 is at version 4.60-3

Good luck.

Bram Mertens wrote:

Hi

I installed a lot of long due updates on my debian/testing box which included upgrading mutt from 1.5.11-5 to 1.5.11+cvs20060126-1.

Unfortunately after this upgrade I frequently get segmentation faults whil using mutt. Sending mail is impossible, either starting a new message: seg fault after I press 'm' or replying to a message: seg fault after I press 'y' to send the message.

Today I had another seg fault when I tried to open the folder containing messages from this list.

Is there a way to get more logging to see what is going wrong?

So far I only know that there are several temporary files left in /tmp containing messages I was reading or composing when mutt segfaulted.

Thanks in advance

Bram