Mixmaster flag summary / user guide?

Hello list

Where can I find an explanation of the "capabilities" flags in Mutt's
Mixmaster selection screen?

If I'm reading the screen right, there are 4 possible flags: C, M, Np,
and Nm.  But only the M one (middleman) is explained in Mutt's manual.
I couldn't find a decent explanation in Mixmaster's docs either.

Better yet, can anybody point me to a good piece of user-level (as
opposed to admin-level) Mixmaster documentation?

I have read a few online FAQs on remailer theory, privacy and whatnot,
but I still lack basic practical info on how to use the service.
Questions like: how do I choose a remailer from the list?  How do I know
if it's a free or pay service?  What kind of service level should I
expect?  Can I choose for how long my email is delayed on the servers?
How do I know if the chain is working or not, and troubleshoot it?

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Please don't tell me to read man mixmaster.  It's so horribly arcane and
cryptic and obviously written for admins who already know how Mixmaster
works and need to configure a remailer.

Toby

--
UNIX is a lever for the intellect.