Mutt 1.5.9i never detecting new mail

When running mutt from the 1.4.2 series on Cygwin, it easily detects
and notifies new mail in the mailboxes specified through the mailboxes
command. This is, when showing the list of mailboxes, 'N' appears
beside the ones with new mail, and when I press 'c', a mailbox with
new mail is suggested.

But running mutt 1.5.9i on Debian sarge, and with exactly the same
muttrc as before, I never get notified on new mail on any mailbox, 'N'
isn't show and when pressing 'c' no mailbox is suggested.

I've played with the mail_check and timeout variables with no success.

Should I upgrade to 1.5.10? Any ideas definitely most useful!

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange