Re: Mark messages in mailbox as read without massive performance hit?!

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Kyle Wheeler delivered in simple text monotype:

The change, using a pattern of ~U, makes it only touch those few messages that are unread, rather than having to touch every message.

Fantastic suggestion!  I like the efficiency factor.

Second idea: turn on indexing in your filesystem, like so:

  tune2fs -O +dir_index /dev/whatever

After you do that, it's probably a good idea to do this:

  e2fsck -D /dev/whatever
<---trip-->

Haven't touched ext3 in years although if it were my fs this would be a good suggestion. :) Thanks again!