Re: Mark messages in mailbox as read without massive performance hit?!

On Wednesday, December 28 at 04:39 PM, quoth Arias Hung:
Hi all.

I'm currently using the following macro:

macro index M "<tag-pattern>.*\r<tag-prefix><clear-flag>N<untag-pattern>.*\r" "Mark all messages in this mailbox as read"

First idea, though it may not help a whole lot:

macro index "<tag-pattern>~U<enter><tag-prefix><clear-flag>N<untag-pattern>.<enter>" "Mark all messages in this mailbox as read"

The change, using a pattern of ~U, makes it only touch those few messages that are unread, rather than having to touch every message.

in order to mark all messages in a particular mailbox as read, however also using Maildir format results in a rather horrific performance hit should the mailbox contain more than even fifty or so messages.

Second idea: turn on indexing in your filesystem, like so:

   tune2fs -O +dir_index /dev/whatever

After you do that, it's probably a good idea to do this:

   e2fsck -D /dev/whatever

~Kyle
--
Every American expects and deserves clean air, and then we act on that belief, then we will set an example for the rest of the world to follow.
                                                   -- George H. W. Bush