Re: Two manipulations I do a lot

* Jean-Rene David <jrdavid@xxxxxxxx> [12-05-05 14:09]:
> There are few operations which I would love to be able to do more
> smoothly using mutt. I wonder how people are doing them, because I find
> the way I do them rather clunky.
>
> 1. I receive a message from X, with Y's address in the message body or
>    in the Cc or To fields. If I want to send Y a message, I have to:
>       - using the mouse, copy Y's address
>         from the message body or header
>       - quit viewing the current message
>       - invoke the "mail" function (default 'm')
>       - paste Y's address and start editing
>
>    I would love to be able to just press one key in pager mode and be
>    presented with a list of addresses found in the *whole* header *and*
>    the body of the message (the way urlview does it) and be able to
>    just pick one or many addresses and immediately be editing a new
>    messge to that recipient.

while in the pager, type the '?' (question mark) key and search '/'
for reply.

> 2. (a little more tricky I think) While replying to a message, I want
>    to quote a passage from another message in my mailbox. Currently I
>    need to:
>
>    - postpone the message I am editing
>    - go find the message containing the desired passage
>    - open it with vim (err, the external editor)
>    - save the passage I want in a temporary file
>    - recall the postponed message
>    - read in the temporary file with the desired passage.
>
>    I am not so sure what would be the desired behavior in this case,
>    but I do wonder how others do it. I do this quite often and find it
>    pretty inconvenient.

tag the two pertinent messages (t), then key ";", to perform an
action on the tagged messages, and 'r' for reply.

You would reall benefit from reading the very good documentation
provided with mutt, 'man mutt', 'man muttrc', and the file
/usr/share/doc/packages/mutt/manual.txt or
/usr/share/doc/packages/mutt/manual.txt.gz (whichever is provided
with your distro).

the manual.txt file is normally viewable via f1 while in mutt.
HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2