the old illegal space in encoded headers problem (Re: Problems with iso-8859-1)

* Realos <realos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-09 12:06 +0100]:
> > Nicolas Rachinsky wanted us to know:
> >* Realos <realos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-08 19:45 +0100]:
> >>  An example of mis-displayed line by mutt
> >>
> >>  From:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andy G=F6tze?= <goetze@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >                             ^
> >The space is not allowed there AFAIK.
>
> No. According to rfc561 space after FROM is allowed:
>
> <authoritem>  ::= FROM: <SP> <user> <SP> AT <SP> <host>

The space is not allowed inside the encoded part (don't have the rfc
at hand). I think it's one of the rfcs decribing the use of headers
with characters not in us-ascii.

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2047.txt

   encoded-word = "=?" charset "?" encoding "?" encoded-text "?="
   encoded-text = 1*<Any printable ASCII character other than "?"
                     or SPACE>
                  ; (but see "Use of encoded-words in message
                  ; headers", section 5)
   IMPORTANT: 'encoded-word's are designed to be recognized as 'atom's
   by an RFC 822 parser.  As a consequence, unencoded white space
   characters (such as SPACE and HTAB) are FORBIDDEN within an
   'encoded-word'.

> Well, that is beyond my reach. Will I have to live with that? Since I do
> not have much expertise with mutt configuration, I was guessing there
> was a suitable workaround.

I don't think, there is one.

If you change this in mutt it will decode headers not meant to be
decoded.

Nicolas

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas