Re: mpi too large (42434 bits)

On Wednesday, October 26 at 08:47 AM, quoth jhelfman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
This is the command I am using:

gpg -e --yes --always-trust -r "email@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" -o output.gpg
output.txt

After this, I simply attach and send.

Ahh, I see, okay. Now, if you try to encrypt that test file to yourself, and then try to decrypt it, does that work?

So, if I'm getting this straight (and if the above encrypt/decrypt-to-yourself test works), basically, you're saying that mutt is not properly encoding *.gpg files, and they're getting corrupted.

The easiest way to fix this is to ascii-armor your encrypted files -- change your command to be this:

gpg -e --yes --always-trust --armor -r "email@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" -o output.gpg output.txt

This, of course, will make the file *bigger*, but it'll make it transmit safely over email. Another way to fix it would be to encrypt them like so:

gpg -e --yes --always-trust -r "email@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" -o output.dat output.txt

Those are both, however, workarounds for the real problem. To fix the real problem, you need to figure out why mutt might be mis-handling *.gpg files. There could be several reasons for this, one of the most obvious being an incorrect line in your mime.types file (could be ~/.mime.types or /etc/mime.types on most systems) -- essentially, it could be that mutt thinks that output.gpg is a text file when it really isn't.

When you attach this output.gpg file to your email in mutt, in the attachment list, what kind of file does mutt seem to think it is? If it was sending it correctly and was correctly detecting it to be a binary data file, it would say something similar to:

   A    2 ~/output.gpg                [applica/octet-stre, base64, ##K]

But I'm guessing it says something like this, instead:

   A    2 ~/output.gpg                [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, ##K]

If that's the problem, then you can edit your mime.types file and add a line like this:

   application/gpg     gpg

Hope that helps,

~Kyle
--
To bathe a cat takes brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction --- and a cat. The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.
                                                       -- Stephen Baker