Re: hierarchical folder in mutt?

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 12:47:05PM +0200, Michael Tatge wrote:
> * On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 Jun Sun (jsun@xxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 03:26:37AM +0200, Michael Tatge wrote:
> > > * On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 Jun Sun (jsun@xxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > >
> > > yes in the mailboxes view. If you want a hirachical structure use the
> > > browser.
> > >

> > Are you sure? In browser view, you only view directories and files.
> > Mutt does not tell you whether you have any new emails in any of the
> > files. Right?
>
> wrong.
>
>  7   N     4096 Feb 02 13:44 mutt-dev/
>  8   N     4096 Jan 15  2003 mutt-users/
>
> Mutt: Directory [=mailinglists]

I tried to put "directory =lists" in .muttrc, (this is what you mean
here, right?), but I got the following error:

[jsun@gw .mutt]$ mutt
Error in /home/jsun/.mutt/muttrc, line 10: Directory: unknown command
source: errors in /home/jsun/.mutt/muttrc

> > A true hierarchical mail folder *would* do the following:
> >
> > 1. at top level, it would only lists "lists/" as a composite folder.
> > 3. you can select "lists/", press "Enter", and you will be presented with
> >    another list of all sub-folders under "lists/", each of which would
> >    be attached with "N" if any of them has new emails.
>
> That's the way it is now. Obviously you didn't even try.

I wouldn't bitch here if I am not trying really hard. :)  I'd appreciate
more if you could just explain a little more about your muttrc setting.

I tried the following setting in my .muttrc file (see my previous email)
and did not see "N" attached to sub-folder after I expand to the second-level.

mailboxes `for i in ~/mail/lists/*; do echo -n "$i "; done`
mailboxes `for i in ~/mail/news/*; do echo -n "$i "; done`

My mutt version is 1.4.1-10 for FC3.  Is my mutt version old or is my
.muttrc setting wrong?  Note "directory" command seems not taken by
my version of mutt.

BTW, I also searched google with "mutt", "hierarchical" etc.

> > 2. it would attach "N" next to "lists" if any sub-folder under lists/ has
> >    a new email.
>
> Mutt does not do that.

This would be useful and less critical if 1)+3) works.

Jun