Re: mairix and symlinks

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:51:17AM +0930, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
>     0n Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:22:10PM +0930, Ian Wat wrote:
>
>     >I've been using mairix to index and search my mail.  I use Maildir so
>     >the match folder is populated with symlinks to the correct e-mail.  The
>     >problem I've run into is that modifying a message in that match folder
>     >doesn't modify the real message.  For example, deleting a message will
>     >just delete the symlink.
>     >
>     >It's possible to script mutt such that entering some keystroke will take
>     >me to the correct message in the correct folder.  Would this be the best
>     >approach or am I missing something here?
>
> I would actually recommend nmzmail rather than mairix.
>
>     nmzmail is a tool to use the namazu2 search engine from within the mutt
>     mail reader to search mail stored in maildir folders. Based on the
>     result of the namazu query, nmzmail generates a maildir folder
>     containing symbolic links to the mails matching the query. A simple
>     mutt
>     macro makes easy to use nmzmail from within mutt.
>
>     Features:
>                     * fast mail searching even with large number of mails
>                     * incremental index building
>                     * rich query language including regular expressions
>                     * (see the
>                       namazu documentation)
>                     * integrates nicely into mutt
>                     * query history
>
>     WWW: http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/#nmzmail

of course, none of these features address the OP's original concern --
is there a way to get mutt to modify the original msgs instead of the
symlinks...

and I guess nmzmail has the additional issue of getting namazu to work
properly, which I've found to be a bit tiresome.

matt

>  - aW

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User
`. `'`       & hemi-geek
  `-
if you're an evil spambot, these addresses are for you:
aardvark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, zeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx