Re: How to get started?

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:50:10PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > Ideally, changes should be made to the *user's* muttrc and not the
> > system-wide file. Even if you don't have other folks on your box, it's a
> > good idea to put user-related things in user-related files.

> Note that it makes good sense to put some changes in the system-wide
> /etc/Muttrc...My users thank me for it.

It's a good point; I have similar system-wide tweaks. In the situation I
(admittedly) assumed the user was in, however, modifying system-level config
files tends to make things more obscure. Moreover, if the user wants to
reinstall or move to another system, they would need to ferret out their changes
(were they to, e.g., modify /e/Muttrc). Keeping *most* changes in $HOME keeps
things simple and easy to port (in my experience), unless one provides certain
services to a largish group of users.

--

Will Maier