Re: Test condition for 'unset record'

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:53:08PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, August  5 at 02:20 PM, quoth John J. Foster:
> >What I'm looking for is basically:
> >
> >folder-hook if ~l then unset record else set record=sent_folder
>
> I use this:
>
>    send-hook . 'set record="=Sent"'
>    send-hook ~l 'set record='
>
> Using a folder-hook doesn't exactly make sense, because what folder
> you're in doesn't *really* have anything to do with sending mail. Why do
> you want to use a folder-hook? (Hint: folder-hook patterns match on the
> name of the folder, not the contents of the messages inside the folder)
>
> ~Kyle

Understood. But let's imagine this scenario.

I'm in my "mutt-users" folder reading this mailing list. My "from"
is set to "festus+mutt-users@xxxxxxxxx" because of folder-hook for
"mutt-users". "set record" is currently unset because of same folder-hook
for "mutt-users". This works fine for replying to the list, because
I don't want a copy in my "sent" folder. But if I reply to to author
(as opposed to the list), I don't have any record of that email.
To further complicate things, if that author then replies
back to me, that email ends up in "mutt-users" because of my "from" for
the folder-hook.

So overall, and to expand my on original request, what I want to do is
as follows:

No matter what folder I'm in

If I list reply
   set folder is unset
   from = festus+folder@xxxxxxxxx
If I reply to author
   set folder is set to sent items
   from = festus@xxxxxxxxx

Does that make any more sense?
--
Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.