Re: pop3 config question to avoid duplicate messages

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:20:56AM -0400, Laran Evans wrote:
> The thing is, I don't want my MDA to even download duplicates. If I had 100
> messages in my inbox (which I don't thankfully) it would be silly to download
> them all every time and then sort them out locally.

This is, as far as I know, technically infeasible. How can you track duplicates
without comparing messages? To compare messages, you need to actually have
access to them. AIUI, this requires (under POP) downloading the message in its
entirety. The solution I use might make more sense; let me describe it below.

> I would not have any real reservations about NOT keeping the messages on the
> server, except that I have a work and home machine and 4 email accounts. If I
> download email at work, I can't read it at home, and vice versa. This problem
> got me using IMAP, which I've been very happy with for a while. But now I've
> almost maxed out my space on the email server, so I have to find some way to
> get the messages off the server. This other issues probably merits a different
> thread, but if anyone has suggestions on a good configuration to accomplish my
> goal of synchronizing my email in multiple locations they'd be very welcome.

I have several accounts on different servers and faced a similar problem: how
can I aggregate my email? For a while, I installed and configured mutt wherever
I went (and committed new versions of a master muttrc to a CVS server I run),
IMAP'ing and SMTP'ing from each new box. This worked, but required an awful lot
of effort; moreover, I found I was fighting the quirks of each new environment I
used (from the *BSDs, to Linux to Solaris, all in one day).

To solve the problem, I decided to drop IMAP (although I like the idea, in
theory) and simply POP (via SSL) *all* my mail to one, single SSH server. That
server is configured to relay and download messages, filter incoming mail, etc.
Backing up my mailboxes is also quite simple, now; easy cronjobs run every few
hours. I have complete control over my setup, and don't have to install or
configure anything more complicated than an SSH client on each new machine I
use. With Linux live cds (and the X Live CD which runs under Windows), I can
access my mail from anywhere.

>From your mails, it sounds like this scheme might work for you, too; feel free
to mail back (on list or off) if you'd like more details.

--

Will Maier