Re: pop3 config question to avoid duplicate messages

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:20:56AM -0400, Laran Evans wrote:
> Will Maier wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:26:20PM -0400, Laran Evans wrote:
> >The trick is to get your MDA
> >(fetchmail or getmail) to pipe to reformail *before* they deliver to your
> >mailboxes. Then you can easily keep track of duplicates.
>
> The thing is, I don't want my MDA to even download duplicates. If I had
> 100 messages in my inbox (which I don't thankfully) it would be silly to
> download them all every time and then sort them out locally.
>
> I would not have any real reservations about NOT keeping the messages on
> the server, except that I have a work and home machine and 4 email
> accounts. If I download email at work, I can't read it at home, and vice
> versa. This problem got me using IMAP, which I've been very happy with
> for a while. But now I've almost maxed out my space on the email server,
> so I have to find some way to get the messages off the server. This
> other issues probably merits a different thread, but if anyone has
> suggestions on a good configuration to accomplish my goal of
> synchronizing my email in multiple locations they'd be very welcome.

I don't know if what you want is doable, but here's what I do. I have
all my mail go to Runbox.com, which has 1GB of mail storage. Then at
home, from Slackware, I have getmail POP my mail down from the server.
I have getmail setup to NOT delete the mail until after it has been on
the server for 30 days. That way, I can also read my mail with, say,
Thunderbird, at work. Or, I can just log in to the Runbox webmail and
read my mail that way. Sure, I may *see* a message more than once, but
that's a small inconvenience for having my mail always available.

I think maybe you'd be better off opening either a Runbox or a Gmail
account and having all your mail go there. Then you can log in to their
webmail interface from where ever you are. That way all your mail stays
on their server and you're always in sync.

--
Godspeed,
Jerry