Re: how to reply to mailing list address by default?

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:19:35PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Mark E. Mallett <mem@xxxxxxxxx> [07-20-05 14:28]:
> > For those lists, I add a "Mail-Followup-To" header to the message when
> > it arrives, then I can just use group-reply and mutt will do the right
> > thing.  (This requires "set honor_followup_to=yes")
>
> A known and much discussed, documented "Bad Thing", mudging headers and
> the "Mail-Followup-To" header, both.

Those are two different things, and to each his own.  "mudging" headers
(what I talked about was adding a header) is pretty commonplace,
especially in one's own received mail, and you would be hard pressed to
get people and utilities (up to and including mutt itself) to stop doing
it.  I probably should have mentioned that Mail-Followup-To is somewhat
controversial (not nearly so as "Reply-To" though), but again, what one
does with one's own mailbox can hardly cause controversy for someone
else's.

Somehow I had the idea that Mail-Followup-To was less of a divided issue
in the mutt community, since mutt handles it so well.

> > Fortunately, the mutt-users list supplies that header already, so no
> > local munging of arriving messages is necessary.
>
> You are completely *wrong* here.

That is often the case.

>  The mutt-users list does *not* go
> against convention.  It does *not* add or supply a "Mail-Followup-To"
> header.

I admit to only looking at a sample of one.  I've checked another
sample, though: your message (the message to which I am responding).  It
arrived with that header.  So I've now doubled my accuracy...

mm