Re: w3m can't show html mail with charset: gb2312

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:04:40AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I am skeptical of the use of the editor function to determine too much
> information.  Frequently the user has already overridden the default
> charset for the editor in some completey different way.  I use Emacs
> for example and force a UTF-8 charset.

I guess I haven't explained my opinion properly enough.

An good editor at least can do these two things to solve this problem:

1. Through it, when confronted a plain paragraph, you can know which
coding system should be applied on. Maybe the editor can detect it
automatically; if not, you can just `guess' it out and force the editor
to use that kind of charset.

2. After you know this, you can take either of the two ways below:
a. Use the editor to translate the text to the charset used by your
console system, or any other one as you wish.
b. Add or edit the header, specify a proper charset for this message.

By this, doubtlessly one can make both the subject and the body to be
properly displayed, simutaneously.

p.s. But this method is manual, I haven't found any method automatic yet.
So I really wish the author of mutt to add a new variable into mutt, say
$subject_charset, to indicate a default charset for the plain subjects.
:)