Re: Advantages/disadvantages of various mbox types

Chris Green wrote:
> Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> > Now here I would disagree - I don't see much difference between:
> >    grep foo /var/spool/mail/me
> > and:
> >    grep -r foo ~/Maildir/
>
> That won't work will it?  Ah, you're too Linux centred, grep doesn't
> have the -r option on systems such as the Solaris box which is my
> desktop machine at work.

What does the linux have to do with grep?  Linux is a kernel.  Grep is
a command line utility.  The above commands work fine for me on my
HP-UX machine which has nothing to do with linux.

True that the GNU grep -r extension is not portable.  But it is
convenient.  And you can always install the GNU utilities on your
system.

The portable way is more typing.  If you do that a lot you would
probably make a helper script out of it.

  find ~/Maildir -type f -print | xargs grep foo /dev/null

Bob