Advantages/disadvantages of various mbox types

Hello! I have been using mutt for quite some time now, and since I
took my inital configuration from the sample.muttrc, I am using Unix
mbox type mailboxes.

Are there any advantages of using maildir over mbox? I understand that
maildir folders need not be locked when procmail etc. write into it,
since file names don't clash, and that is an advantage. But when I
converted my mbox'es to maildirs, the space occupied was almost 50%
more.

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah
Mail powered by: Mutt 1.5.6, fetchmail 6.2.5, exim 4.44, procmail 3.22