Re: Advantages/disadvantages of various mbox types

Am 2005-07-12 13:24:15, schrieb Kumar Appaiah:
> Hello! I have been using mutt for quite some time now, and since I
> took my inital configuration from the sample.muttrc, I am using Unix
> mbox type mailboxes.
>
> Are there any advantages of using maildir over mbox? I understand that

Better performance and security over network.

> maildir folders need not be locked when procmail etc. write into it,
> since file names don't clash, and that is an advantage. But when I
> converted my mbox'es to maildirs, the space occupied was almost 50%
> more.

If you use Maildir, you schoud use a blocksize of 1024 very
much inodes and if possibel strip the Hailheader like:

    :0 fh
    | formail -f -I Received:

which save many kBytes because in some mailingliste I have
up to 14 "Received:" Headers which are some kBytes.

> Thanks.
>
> Kumar

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi