Re: Loading time of folders with header cache

Hello,

> I use the patch-1.5.7.tg.hcache.1 with gdbm3 for Maildirs. It
> works but I can't say it works fine, probably because I had the
> wrong expectations: the naïve idea was that mailboxes would take
> less time to load -- which is only some time the case. Often --
> at least so it seems to me -- the database gets refreshed even if
> the mailbox hasn't changed and loading takes longer than with
> header cache off.

after one week of debugging we tracked the *damn* issue down.

Problem was: Opening a maildir took 12 minutes on a recent PowerBook
running MacOSX. It was supposed to open in 4 seconds.

So we tried:
                - recompiling mutt with extensively hcache debug patches
                - profiling mutt
                - using our own gdbm library
                - name it.

Finally we just found the problem: