Re: Screwball characters

On Wednesday, October 27 at 09:49 PM, quoth Alain Bench:
>     Right. To see real em-dashes "—", you need a terminal with charset
> having this U+2014 char. UTF-8, or CP-1252, MacRoman, Next, Big5…
>
>     Otherwise you can play with iconv transliterations, say setting
> $charset="//TRANSLIT": You’ll get em-dashes faked as dashes on less
> capable terminals. That’s maybe better than question marks.

WOW! That's COOL! Is there anything wrong, that you can think of, with
having something like this in my muttrc?:

set charset=`printenv | grep '^LC_' | grep -i utf-8 2>&1 1>/dev/null &&
echo utf-8 || echo //TRANSLIT`

(i.e. if utf-8 support is available, use it, otherwise use //TRANSLIT)
Is there a better way to do that?

> > sometimes the \22x thingies pop up, still, but much more rarely---I
> > suspect a mis-labeled encoding or something like that
>
>     Probably right. Do the following 4 config lines help?
>
> | unset strict_mime
> | set assumed_charset=windows-1252
> | charset-hook ^us-ascii$   windows-1252
> | charset-hook ^iso-8859-1$ windows-1252
>
>     This should correct 99% of mislabelling cases. Otherwise please
> provide a \227 example.

Indeed - I was missing that last one, which has been the most recent
culprit really rather irritating (the bad MUA this time was Horde's IMP
webmail).

~Kyle
--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for over thirty five years, doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.